A LAUNCH PAD TO GREAT SUCCESS
I came to this school because I was looking for a nice community. I wanted to build relationships with my teachers and have them know who I am - which is something that I had missed at my online and my old public school.
Anabella had attended several public and private schools as well she had taken online school high school courses before finding Winchendon. She joined the founding group of students on our NYC campus in the fall of 2018, seeking a community that she could feel a part of, a curriculum that would support her amazing intellect, and a program that would provide her the flexibility to pursue her passion for competitive fencing at the highest level. She found all three at Winchendon.
- At the Winch, Anabelle found that the schedule provided the flexibility not just to allow her to compete nationally as a fencer but to also pursue her interests in science and math to the highest levels. In the spring of her junior year, she was able to spend 1-2 days each week working in a graduate lab at NYU’s Tandon School of Engineering, and in the fall of her senior year, she was able to pursue an opportunity at Columbia University.
- She took three math and science AP’s in her junior year, working with her teachers not just mastering the concepts but also developing far greater confidence in how she approached “high stakes” tests like the AP exams.
- And, it wasn’t just about math and science. In her junior year she also further improved her excellent Spanish by serving as a teacher’s assistant for younger Winchendon students in Spanish I and II.
- So the quiet, shy girl who had been seeking a community to be a member of quickly found not just a group of good friends, but she flourished a leader as well, being elected to lead the student body in her senior year.
- Winter and spring brought Anabella a number of acceptances from highly selective colleges and universities, and Anabella will be attending Barnard College.