The Winch Difference
How is Winchendon Different and Better for You?
Your teachers will guide, coach and support you in achieving your very best by providing you with a highly engaging and individualized high school experience. We are committed to helping you achieve success not just in the classroom, but in all aspects of your time at Winchendon — academic, competitive, leadership, creative, athletic and social. In order to deliver on this commitment we do certain things very differently than most other high schools.
The Winch Differences
- This is your education- not our education
- Great learning should be active – and fun
- Teachers that get you
- We will support you in reaching as high as you can go
- Get ready to compete in sports or excel in the arts or technology in college
- Learning for the future- your future
- One school- two campuses
- Regular self reflection and feedback is critical to your success
But then there will be all sorts of your program that will be designed around your interests. For example, do you:
- Have a deep interest in engineering or architecture?
- Want to be a jazz musician or an actor, learn to animate comics, or be a digital videographer?
- Play high-level sports, or participate in Robotics, Model UN, or debate team?
- Maybe you are most interested in getting job experience, or serving the community?
- Or more likely, some combination of the above.
Few, if any, other high schools can support your individual goals and passions while providing you an exceptional education and ensuring that you are well prepared to excel at college and in the workplace.
Try us! In recent years, we have had one student studying anthropology and evolutionary biology, another studying demographic trends in Japan, yet another learning web-design while pursuing a passion for Nerf Blasters, and a several more building social networks, among a number of other business endeavors.
Yes, we have classrooms, but, at any given moment, you and your fellow students will just as likely be off learning somewhere in the community than sitting in a traditional classroom. Our micro-classes, which average 8 or fewer students per teacher, provide the flexibility to get out of the classroom and into the streets, where often the most meaningful learning occurs. A good classroom is only the entryway to the world beyond our campus.
Our local community and beyond will be your classroom, your playing field, your lab, your stage, your studio, your workplace – the canvas and screen for your individual story and high school experience.
- Are you a quiet or shy student? There will always be room at the table for your voice.
- Ever have trouble starting complex assignments? Your teacher will understand that about you and will be there to help.
- Understand a book better when you listen to it rather than just read it? Better talking through ideas, or drawing them, rather than writing them down? Your teachers will recognize this too, and support you in getting better and better at organizing and expressing your ideas.
All Winchendon teachers are trained in understanding and supporting the many different ways that students learn best. It is a priority for all of us to help you reach your full potential by understanding how you will be most successful.
And, the opportunity for individualized learning isn’t just in the classroom. Your aspirations may be on the court or on the playing field, in the workplace, on the stage, or even in the “cloud”. Your advisor and others on your Winchendon team will make sure that you have the opportunity to pursue your aspirations in every arena through your personalized Winchendon program.
- Aiming to play NCAA Division I sports or higher?
- Aspire to be a professional dancer, actor or musician?
- Ready to be the next fast-track entrepreneur?
Winchendon recognizes the importance of integrating these personal interests into your education. Our program is structured to provide you with the flexibility and time to pursue your passions to the highest level. Whether it is creating the time to participate on a select team, practice with a top-level artist, or interning with a local start-up, or holding down a job, you will be supported in these pursuits – and it will be part of your Winchendon education.
We are focused on helping you learn the knowledge, skills and strategies that will be most important for you over the next 10-25 years – not what people thought was important 10 or 20 years ago. Way too many educators are caught up in old subjects or skills. Don’t let that happen to you!
Winch students regularly reflect on their recent work and consider their successes and struggles. Every week, your teachers will read, reflect, and respond to your ideas – so that you know whether you and your teachers are on the same page. This will make it easier for you to be more successful.
Why? Self-reflection is critical to success. It doesn’t matter whether you aspire to be an inventor, to serve your community, to be a star athlete, or to grace the stage – none of us can be our best if we don’t learn the art of self-reflection and processing feedback.
Where to Next?
We suggest checking out these pages: