Wesleyan University, MALS; Middletown, CT
American University, BA; Washington, D.C.
Subject Areas at Winch: Humanities, Creative Programs,
This Jersey girl has a streak of wanderlust, from exploring new places to wandering culturally. Joanna and her husband, Winchendon’s Ottar Draugsvold, enjoy hitting the reset button with extensive travel as well experiencing a potpourri of art, ballet, theater, and music. Joanna finds inspiration in Sir Thomas More’s lesson “that integrity cannot be purchased at any price” and the adventurous spirit of Amelia Earhart.
- Thoughts on teaching: Teaching, for me, is the search for that wholeness through the act of questioning. How is Keats’ poem like the Pieta? How are Michelangelo’s sonnets like the dance of “Apollo?”
- Superpower of choice: Fly on the wall: almost invisible but still get to learn from others.
- Go-to comfort food: Home made applesauce with cinnamon
- Favorite Winchendon tradition: Senior Night Dinner
- On the bucket list: Vacation in Cuba
- Song to start the day: “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen