Founded: 1926 by Lloyd Harvey Hatch
Core Values: The “Great 8” - C2AR3E2
Collaborative, Courageous, Adaptable, Resilient, Resourceful, Responsible, Empathetic, Ethical - C2AR3E2
Motto: Nulla Vestigia Retrorsum - (“No Steps Back”)
Enrollment - 235 students
- 75% boarding students, 25% day students
- 25 countries represented
- 13 states represented
The Winchendon School | MA - Head of School - Laurie Lambert
The Winchendon School | NYC - Head of School - Sean Duncan
Chief Executive Officer - John Kerney
Chief Operating Officer - Scott Pottbecker
Painting by: Emily Schultz
Mission: The Winchendon School, a coeducational multicultural community, provides college-bound students of good character and promise with the essential study skills and learning strategies that propel each student to achieve academic success.
- Student-teacher ratio: 5:1
- Average class size: 8 students or less
- Graduation Requirements: 30 credits
- Signature programs: ColLabs, Global Dynamics, Hybrid Learning, Service Learning
- Faculty: 46 (23 men/23 women)
- Advanced Degrees: 23
Accreditation: New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
Member: NAIS, TABS, CASE, NEPSAC, Small Boarding Schools, NBOA, Hybrid Learning Consortium, Folio Collaborative
The Winchendon School is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Winchendon is an equal opportunity employer.
- Location: Winchendon, Massachusetts - approximately 55 miles/89km from Boston, MA and 169 miles/272km from New York, NY
- Campus: 326 acres
- Buildings: 30
- Dorms: 7
- $60,000 7-day boarding student tuition (2017-2018)
- $48,500 5-day boarding student tuition (2017-2018)
- $34,500 day student tuition (2017-2018)
- $3.3 million in need-based grants
- Unrestricted Investment Funds: $30 million
- Member of NEPSAC
- 30 athletic options, including 18 varsity sports
- Donald Ross designed private golf course
- State-of-the-art hockey rink
- Gymnasium with two full sized basketball/volleyball courts and fitness area
- 6 tennis courts
- Three playing fields
- Baseball and softball fields
- 1 indoor turf field*
- 1 swimming pool*
- Wachusett Mountain Ski Area is ~20-25 minutes from campus
*The School has a long term relationship with the Clark YMCA locally that provides students shared access to these facilities.
The Winchendon School, a coeducational multicultural community, provides college-bound students of good character and promise with the essential study skills and learning strategies that propel each student to achieve academic success.
- Head of School: Lauren Lambert
- Associate Head of School: Scott Pottbecker
- Accreditation: New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
- Member: NAIS, TABS, CASE, NEPSAC, Small Boarding Schools, NBOA, Hybrid Learning Consortium, Folio Collaborative
Something About Something Else?
Character development is a huge priority at The Winchendon School. The values we strive to instill in all students include:
- Understanding before Action: Thoughtfully approaching a problem with realistic, actionable solutions.
- Partnership not pity: Collaborating with our community partners to focus on empowerment.
- Process not projects: Fostering long-term growth through community initiatives to create sustainable change.
- Student Voice, Choice & Leadership: As Service Learning Leaders, engaging in specific leadership training and then take the reins in their initiatives by selecting, designing, and implementing the projects.
- Disrupting Injustice: Critically analyzing root causes of injustice and seek to make profound changes in ourselves, our community, and our world.