The Winchendon 19u Girls Hockey Team is making a name for themselves across the country. On the weekend of October 21 to October 23, the Winchendon Girls Hockey teams traveled to Minnesota to compete in the Tradition National Invitational Tournament (NIT).
Minnesota is a hotspot for the game of hockey and hosts a large, competitive tournament each fall. The Winchendon Girls 19U hockey team was able to complete a successful trip to the Midwest, coming home with a perfect record of 4-0.
There were many different highlights from the weekend, with impressive and exciting hockey games to recap. These highlights include:
- Only one goal was given up in the four games.
- Ava Provenzo (senior) scored four goals on the weekend
- Suvina Heidt (senior) had two goals as a defenseman.
- Shutouts for goaltenders Maia Walker (junior), Livia Debnárová (junior), and Abbi Giampaola (senior).
- Remi Karsh (freshman) played in the final game as the team was down a defenseman and the ‘09 had the game-winning assist, as well as earned MVP of the game.
The perfect record of 4-0 is highlighted below:
4-1 vs. Eastman Selects
Goals by Ava Provenzo (2) (senior), Laralee Rizarri (senior), Suvina Heidt (senior)
1-0 vs. Team North Dakota
Maia Walker (junior, goaltender) shutout
Goal by AnnaBelle Calvanese (senior)
2-0 vs. Team Colorado
Livia Debnárová (junior, goaltender) shutout
Goals by Ava Provenzo (senior), Suvina Heidt (senior)
1-0 vs. San Diego Angels
Abbi Giampaola (senior, goaltender) shutout
Goal by Ava Provenzo (senior)
Coach Kara Santoro reflects on the weekend saying “It was a great weekend for the 19’s. They truly earned their victories through their determination and work ethic!”
The Winchendon Girls Hockey programs will be back on the road this weekend traveling to Rochester, NY to compete in the Roc City Girls Fest Tournament.