Boston University, MA, MA, 1977
University of Wisconsin, BS, WI, 1970
Ottar is known around campus as Winchendon’s most interesting man (maybe it’s those walking handstands). Early mornings are prime fishing time, and Ottar can frequently be found at local, and not so local, fishing holes trying his luck. His hero, Mark Twain, wrote “Irreverence is the champion of liberty, and its only sure defense,” and that philosophy has been his motto since he first read it.
By the way...
- Go-to comfort food: A BLT is about as good as eating ever gets for me.
- Thoughts on teaching: I believe teaching is the highest calling of mankind: to be endowed with the trust of the parents and charged with the responsibility of transmitting the culture from one generation to the next is as good as it gets. While it is a solemn responsibility my goal is to make the learning intriguing if not downright joyful.
- Superpower of choice: Superhuman strength. I’ve been a powerlifter and a strength trainer since my teens. It would be very interesting.
- On the bucket list: I would like to land a large Tarpon on my fly rod. Fishing doesn’t get any better than that unlikely event.
- Favorite place and books on hand: Bali is the top spot for me. I would re-read The Decline of Pleasure by Walter Kerr, and Henderson the Rain King, by Saul Bellow.