Clark University, MA, MA, 2007
Clark University, BA, MA, 2004
Spanish, Service Learning Initiative Director.
The people, whom Miranda admires and is influenced by, are global and quite local. Miranda cites the Kenyan activist and Nobel Peace Prize winner, Wangari Maathai. “She is a shining example of the perseverance, kindness, critical thought, and fearlessness that it takes to be an excellent leader and agent for change.” And, locally, her own daughter, Juniper, has taught her what is most important in life – “love for everyone, perspective for the things that truly matter, passion for life, and making a mess!” Juniper, Miranda, her husband Jared D’Arcey, and son William make their home just across from the fifth green. Her work with educational non-profits in Nicaragua and Colorado laid the foundation for her leadership as Winchendon’s Service Learning director. Miranda pushes both Winchendon students and faculty to engage the local community, to embrace action with empathy, and to commit with kindness.
By the way...
- Globetrotting adventure: Eight years in Central America as the country director
- Go-to comfort food: Vanilla ice cream with chocolate sprinkles. Never get bored of it!
- Which Winchendon event is your favorite: MLK Day
- Favorite place and books on hand: Siuna, Nicaragua. Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver, Encountering Development, and Eva Luna by Isabel Allende
- Which Winchendon class or ColLAB would you most like to take: Mr Delorme’s French classes (I might fail though)